Welcome to the F.A.Q. section (Frequently Asked Question). Here you will find things like what I sell, Services I offer, How much it will cost, Ways to save money, and what I can and can not do. If you cant find what you were going to ask, Simply write me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll write you back usually within 5 hours or so but no later than 24 hours.
Let me get this one out of the way first. What is your address and where do I mail the mic's to?
Skim through these questions below and see if one fits yours. If one does look at what number it is and scroll down to the answer with the same number below. If not there, or its too confusing contact me, Chris, via email at email@example.com
1. HOW MUCH ARE YOUR COMPLETED NEW MICS?
2. DO YOU SELL JUST THE 55 SHELL?
3. DO YOU SELL JUST THE SM58, BETA 58, 87 BETA, CARTRIDGES TO FIT IN MY 55?
4. DO YOU SELL THE WHOLE MIC?
5. CAN YOU TAKE A MIC I ALREADY HAVE A (SM58, BETA 58, 87 BETA, 55) CAN YOU CONVERT IT?
6. WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE SM58, THE 58 BETA AND OR THE SUPER 55?
7. WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE 58'S AND THE 87 BETA?
8. DO YOU WORK ON OTHER MIC'S OTHER THAN A 55?
9. DO YOU REFURBISH MIC'S BACK TO ORIGINAL? And why you shouldnt!
10. IS THERE A WARRANTY?
11. HOW DO I KNOW IF THESE MICS ARE AS GOOD AS YOU SAY?
12. HOW DO I ORDER ONE AND PAY FOR IT?
13. HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE FROM THE TIME I ORDER TILL I GET MY MIC?
14. HOW MUCH ARE LIGHTED MIC'S AND WHAT DO THEY COME WITH?
15. DO YOUR MICS USE PHANTOM POWER OR BACK UP BATTERIES?
16. CAN YOU CHROME MIC'S?
17. DO YOU SELL REPLACEMENT SCREENS?
18.WHY IS THE BETA 58 VERSION THE SAME PRICE AS THE SM58 VERSION WHEN THE SM58 SHOULD BE LESS?
19. DOES THE SUPER 55 HAVE A 58 BETA INSIDE AND WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE IN IT AND THE 58 BETA VERSION YOU HAVE?
20. CAN YOU LIGHT UP MY VINTAGE MICROPHONE?
21. HOW DO THE LIGHTS WORK?, or I'M TRYING TO LIGHT MY MIC, CAN YOU SEND ME A WIRING DIAGRAM FOR THE LIGHTS? (ANSWER)
1. HOW MUCH ARE YOUR COMPLETED NEW MICS? (ANSWER) Well that all depends on what you get and what you need. I'll first start with price for new mics and extras. New 55 with 58 beta 230.00 (comes with free shipping in US, two year warranty discounted shipping of 10.00 out of the US, and free screen color of choice and free mic bag) New 55 with 87 beta 400.00 (comes with free shipping in the US, two year warranty, discounted shipping out of the US and mic bag and free color choice on screen.) Switch added 12.00 if yours is broken or you want on add. Lights added 60.00 XLR added 25.00 (needed for vintage mics especially if lights are added) Chrome added 160.00 (depending on the size of the mic, and type of chrome you choose. See my "what I can do page" for details on chrome) Extra preformed screens 25.00 (35.00 for a fatboy) Shipping free in the US, with the purchase of completed mic and 10.00 off shipping worldwide usually around 35.00 to 45.00 anywhere in the world after discount.
2. DO YOU SELL JUST THE 55 SHELL? (ANSWER) YES! I know that there are some people out there that just want a prop. But I do not normally sell them like that, But as I, say money talks and B.S. walks, so if you are willing to pay 120.00 plus shipping I can build you a new one that looks old but is new. Unless of course I have a vintage shell you rather have at the time.. You will have to ask on that and prices will vary. I also sell them in conjunction to a customer if they already had a 58 or inside element and wanted me to convert it and put it in one of my 55's shell or other vintage mic for that matter.
3. DO YOU SELL JUST THE SM58, BETA 58, 87 BETA, CARTRIDGES TO FIT IN MY 55? (ANSWER)Yes, but only if I do the install. email me for pricing at firstname.lastname@example.org
4. DO YOU SELL THE WHOLE MIC? (ANSWER)Yes I do. Normally most of my sells are the newer 55Sh2 versions with your choice of element inside and screen color. These mic's also come with free shipping in the US, and discounted shipping over seas. They also come with a free mic bag, and 2 year warranty. But on occasion I get a request for a genuine vintage 55 or other mics with the upgrade of the element and screen. These take longer to get because I would have to win one on Ebay and restore it, If I dont already have one in stock. Then send it off for chroming if needed. The price will vary on vintage mic's due to the auction price to win one is never the same. But for a new 55SH2 with your choice of element the prices will be as follows for each model. SM58 / 55 hybrid is around 250.00, The 58 beta / 55 hybrid around 240.00 and the 87beta / 55 hybrid around 400.00. If you want lighted versions there is an added fee of 60.00 to each. Prices can vary do to changes in price for parts for me, and weather you buy from me directly or on Ebay. I can always do it a little cheaper directly and not on Ebay.
5. CAN YOU TAKE A MIC I ALREADY HAVE A (SM58, BETA 58, 87 BETA, 55) CAN YOU CONVERT IT? (ANSWER)Yes. but I do not offer full warranty. Read the bottom of this paragraph for details. Yea I know times are tight and you want to save money, and you already have a handheld 58 beta SM58 or a 87 beta or some other mic for that matter, and are wondering will I convert it and mail it back. Yes I do. I only charge 120.00 to convert a SM58 or 58 Beta plus shipping, this includes screens for the sound upgrade. But I charge 150.00 for a Beta 87 due to the fact they are very delicate and if I mess it up I will have to replace it. Lets say you have the 58's or 87 but you want my shell of a 55 and want me to convert your mic and put it in one of my shells. I also can do that for the same price as before but add 120.00 to the price for my shell. The mic will come ready to use. shipping and custom screens are extra. Or lets say you have an old 55 or 55SH2 and a 58 or 87 beta and want to mail them both to me and me to convert them. Yes, I do that also. It will be the same cost as before mention for the handheld conversion to fit the 55. With those prices you will also get your 55 polished and looking great again. Just about any combination you can think of I will do. Note: If you did not buy the mic from me, then I do not offer a warranty. But can promise it will work upon delivery. I just cant warranty a used mic, when it can go out at any time. but workmanship is warrantied for one year. wires soldering joints, parts that's replaced like switches if needed.
6. WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE SM58, THE 58 BETA AND OR THE SUPER 55? (ANSWER)Well you can research this online at Shure.com and get the whole in's and out's but here is the short. But first, As for the Super 55 scroll down to #19 for the difference in my beta 58's and the Super Modified 58 Beta. Now on to the difference in the Beta 58 and the SM58. The SM58 cost around 100.00 and for that price you can't beat the quality of sound. The benefit of the SM58 is that its built like a tank. They can take a serious beating and keep on working. Now the 58 beta, its not as tough but it's sound quality is much clearer and has more gain. It can pick up about 20db higher range than a SM58. and its about 5% higher in gain, and cost around 170.00. The SM58 and the 58 beta both are dynamic mic's but one is cardioid and the beta is supercardioid, which basically means the Beta 58 has a stronger magnet. the SM58 is great for Live applications with singers who have plenty of power and want a mic that will last through a tough road. The 58 beta is a better quality mic, and the sound for the money is awesome for live shows. It is tough built also but it wont take the beating and drops a SM58 will but who plans on beating there mic to death. The beta also allows you to be a softer singer and still be heard. It also allows for the High pitched singers to have all there notes heard. I personally use the Beta 58 because I don't have to push as hard, and it saves my vocals. the good news though is even though there is a 70.00 difference between the SM58 and the beta 58, I give a better deal on the Beta's.
7. WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE 58'S AND THE 87 BETA? (ANSWER)Besides the price? lol. Ok there actually is a big difference and like before you can search it at Shure.com, but here is the short. the 58's (Beta and SM) both are Dynamic mics, and the 87 beta is a condenser mic. Basically a dynamic mic is the exact opposite of a speaker. a speaker works like this. A signal from a radio travels in the wire to a magnet and create a pattern. this pattern is picked up by a coil winding around the speaker horn and causes it to vibrate which moves the cone and makes sound through the air. Well dynamic mics work the same way in reverse. Sound from your voice vibrates a small diaphragm (speaker) which makes the small coil of wires vibrate in a magnet which creates a pattern and signal and travels down the wires to a board. dynamic mic's do have a resonance chamber in the handle which actually makes them sound the way they do. Thats why you can not just cut up these mic's and slap them in a 55 and they sound the same. That's why I actually had to design a chamber in my mic's. But a condenser mic works different. it doesn't have a magnet or a resonance chamber. but it does use a magnetic field. sort of like an electric magnet you made as a kid with a nail and a battery. The capacitor has two plates which has a certain amount of voltage between them. One of the plates in the microphone is made up from light material which acts as a diaphragm.The diaphragm then will vibrate when it is struck by sound waves, which changes the distance between the two different plates which in turn changes the capacitance. condenser mic's have a small element with plates inside coated with a thin layer of gold. these plates do not touch but are very close together. condenser mic's, have to have a DC power source to work (phantom power) this power cause a magnetic field in the plates and when you make sound in the mic it reads the vibrations in this field and transfers it to a small on board computer chip and converts your voice into a analogue sound and is transferred down the wires to the board. These mic's are pretty much the best sounding mic's out there for the money. They can even be recorded with in a studio. That's why they are so expensive. But they also are very sensitive and can distort out with too much power and sound going in.....meaning .....no death metal! lol.
8. DO YOU WORK ON OTHER MIC'S OTHER THAN A 55? (ANSWER)Yes I do. I'm willing to work on any of them. I think there is always a way to try and fit something in one of the older mic's. problem is a lot of these older mics don't have a lot of space. but I do have two elements that can fit in tight places. (see past projects tab) I have 87 beta that can fit in a area of 2 inches by 2 inches by 1 1/2 inches now. But they are so expensive, so I found a way to convert a R115 element and boost the signal and change the sound and make it sound pretty good. (R115 element is what is found in a 55Sh2) So you can get one of them installed into a small area much cheaper for around 150.00. But if you have a mic you would like restored or retro fitted, just email me and let me know what you are wondering, and I'll see what I can do.
9. DO YOU REFURBISH MIC'S BACK TO ORIGINAL? (ANSWER)Yes I do, and at a very fair price. Usually I can get one back to a almost new condition, and working for around 60.00 to 80.00 depending on what all is needed such as screens new switches, new wiring. new connectors, and such. But the real question is why would you? Even if I rebuilt the mic to sound brand new again, it would still only sound as good as an 80 year old mic. these older mics pick up sound from 360 degrees, and are low on gain. So if you turn it up, it will feedback. Bottom line is they were great back in the day, but with music as loud as it is now, with reverb, and distortion added and everyone crowded on a little stage it will not be perform. They are not bad for, recording, bingo announcing or Ham radio, but that's about it. So you might as well upgrade it to a modern mic.
10. IS THERE A WARRANTY? (ANSWER)Yes. I warranty my mics for 2 years. but it is a limited warranty and does cover normal use.. every mic I send out get a written warranty and is serviced by me. Free for two years all but shipping. Same as Shure.
11. HOW DO I KNOW IF THESE MICS ARE AS GOOD AS YOU SAY? (ANSWER)As they say talk is cheap so the best thing is word of mouth from my past customers.. Simply go to my new Facebook page by searching Mutant Mics, and ask any body you want on my friends list. They constantly add new pics and tell me how happy they are with their mics. Also you can read my feedback comments on my Ebay. I've sold over 300 on Ebay, and over 2500 microphones total, from this website. I still have 100% feedback. Last but not least if you are not happy with your mic simply return it for a full refund!
12. HOW DO I ORDER ONE AND PAY FOR IT? (ANSWER)Thats easy! Simply check out my pic's or come up with your own design, then Email me at email@example.com. once we come up with your final choices, Ill send you an invoice via email. My invoices are Paypal, but they take credit, debit or Paypal and you do not need to be a Payapal member. Once it is paid I will put you on the books and then order your parts.. Its that easy. you can also mail and pay with check or Money order, But they have to clear before I will even put you on the books..
13. HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE FROM THE TIME I ORDER TILL I GET MY MIC? (ANSWER)It varies from time to time. But it mostly is determined by how many orders I have on the books.So the best thing to do is to get on the books ASAP. I can do small orders, warranty work and parts pretty fast just email me and ask. I usually have around 10 orders on the books and average around 10 mics a month..
14. HOW MUCH ARE LIGHTED MIC'S AND WHAT DO THEY COME WITH? (ANSWER)To add lights to your order on any mic its simply 60.00 more.. Same for if you want your mic converted its still 60.00. Screens may be extra depending on the mic and size.. But a new screen is needed for the lights for the see through effect.
15. DO YOUR MICS USE PHANTOM POWER OR BACK UP BATTERIES? (ANSWER) Yes, all the lighted mic's will need phantom power. But not to sing through, only to light. If you buy a lighted version of the SM58 or the Beta 58 they will still operate under no phantom conditions but will not light...the Beta 87 is the only mic I sell that needs Phantom power all the time....and No, I do not sale battery back ups...One, all batteries eventually leak and corrode the element or finish. Two,there is not enough room. If you play places that do not have phantom power and you need it, buy a phantom power box, or an ART pre-amp with phantom power for about 25.00 to 55.00 on Ebay...
16. CAN YOU CHROME MIC'S? (ANSWER) Yes I have a few ways to add different chrome finishes to your mic. check my "what I can do" page for details.
17. DO YOU SELL REPLACEMENT SCREENS? (ANSWER)Yes, I have a few ways to make your screen look new again. all with different cost and different ways to install. First I can do it back to original. I charge 30.00 to 50.00 for this being its very hard to do and do correctly. the mic has to be sent to me for this option. the next two options do not have to be sent to me and i can mail out. One is called the pre-cut screen. Precut screens are foam screen just like the ones that came in these mics from the late 60's on til today. I have three colors to choose from. Blue, Red. and Charcoal Gray. they come pre-cut to the shape of the inside of the mic. but you have to glue them inside. I can do this for you but you have to send me the mic. I sale these set of front and back for 5.00 plus shipping. Now the next and final option is the best. I call them preformed screens. Preformed screens are screens that already are shaped to the inside of the mic and require no gluing.. They hold themselves in place. They take about 5 minutes to put in and can be any color you like. You can even have them in foam as mentioned above. The best part about these screens are they act and sound better than stock. But you must tell me what element you have inside to make sure I build it to perform to that element. Preformed cost 25.00 plus shipping on small 55's and 35.00 on fatboys. Ask if you want one for another mic also I may have them, such as EV726.
18.WHY IS THE BETA 58 HYBRID CHEAPER THAN THE SM58 HYBRID? (ANSWER)This is the old story of supply and demand. Yes I know a stock SM58 cost around 100.00 and the Beta 58 is around 170.00 new in there stock form. So why is the beta 58 hybrid cheaper than the SM58 version.. Well this is proof I do not do it for the profit.. I totally pass on the savings to the customer. In the beginning, all I did was the SM58 then I got so many request for other mic elements..such as the 58 beta and the 87 beta.. So after redesigning them as I did with the SM58, I started sell them also.. Well quickly the 58 beta started selling more and my whole seller started dropping the price. The more I bought the lower the price.. So instead of keeping the price the same, I kept dropping the price along with my savings. So now I can buy the 58 Beta as cheap as a SM58, And they are easier to convert, and they sound much better... So naturally I kept dropping the price, and I started selling more... Now 98% of the mics I sale are 55 / 58 betas. And the customers love them..
19. DOES THE SUPER 55 HAVE A 58 BETA INSIDE AND WHATS THE DIFFERENCE IN IT AND THE 58 BETA VERSION YOU HAVE? (ANSWER)No the Super 55's do not have a true Beta 58 inside. It has what they call a modified Beta 58. meaning the basic difference is the resonance chamber is a little smaller and the dynamics are worse and the polar pattern is not even close to a 58 beta. In Simple terms.. They have the same diaphragm and same magnet, But different shape and different magnetic field than a stock 58 beta and although they are close they are not as good with the dynamics (wind noise or puff sounds) and feedback repel. So Shure calls it a super cardioid mic, not a Beta 58. As far as the difference in mine and theirs.. is this, this design that the Super has is my old design, I did three years ago they copied. I have changed my design 6 times since then to make it more like a stock 58 beta Due to complaints I was getting in my older designs... and my newest design cannot get any better... it is top of the line. I cant go into detail, But my mics have a better polar pattern and way better design for the dynamics, and you do not get the puff sounds as with the stock Super or the feedback that can happen with the Super... plus I have the full size resonance chamber in my design and its warmer.... Now it is hard to tell the difference in these things unless you are a perfectionist, but I am, and so are the majority of my customers and My version is better, and I have have three sound production companies with my mics that say the same thing.. and a one who say mine sound better than the stock 58 beta when it comes to wind noise and puffs.. But don't worry all the Super 55's I sell, I modify with the changes I've learned over the years to make them better also... So if you buy a Super from me it will be better sounding, 10.00 cheaper than stock and you can choose what ever screen color you want! That's the difference.
20. CAN YOU LIGHT UP MY VINTAGE MICROPHONE? (ANSWER) No, if you have a vintage element inside. the lights will not fit, not to mention the old vintage element do not like 48v running through them. But if you let me upgrade your element and add XLR to your mic I can light it then. If you are wondering why it may be a good idea to upgrade your mic you may want to read #9 above.
21. HOW DO THE LIGHTS WORK?, or I'M TRYING TO LIGHT MY MIC, CAN YOU SEND ME A WIRING DIAGRAM FOR THE LIGHTS? (ANSWER) I'm going to answer this is two ways. One for the not so smart, and one for the not so dumb. For the not so dumb people. I'm going to answer this as if you were asking what powers the lights. The lights are powered from your sound board through phantom power. This is a switch found on most boards, small and large that are less than 10 years old. They label them in many ways. Here are some I have seen. ( p.p., P.P. P.Pwr, P. power. +48v) they usually have a small button beside this label that can be pushed by your finger, or have been so small that you need the head of a Ink pen or a unfolded paper clip. once its pushed the lights will come on. if you have a dynamic mic it will not effect it. It will work regardless if the lights are on or not. If you have a condensing mic you need phantom power to make it work so if you have lights they will have to be on all the time on condensing mics. Now for the Not so smart. For those people who write me and ask things like, can you send me a diagram of how to light a mic? Or, I bought a mic from you and I tried to fix the lights and now they are not working correctly, Or something along those lines. First off if you are a customer and your lights are not working properly send me the mic, It will be fixed for free. But other than that, You are just plain out of your mind to think I'm going to help you figure out my trade secret. And for those who think you can back engineer the lights, You are more than welcome to try. They are designed to destroy the element like a fuse and designed to fail the lights from ever working again. And for the prior customer who tried to back engineer my design and posted his version of what he thought was the correct way to light the mics.. You are an idiot. The way you are showing it will destroy the mic and cause it not to work correctly. One way, Is your design draws too much power if you are running light in a condensing mic, or running more than one lighted mic on stage. You will use all the power and wont be able to run more than two mics at a time. Second mistake is the worse. You have it to where you will drain the magnet down over the years and change the sound of the mic everyday its hooked up. You basically have a electronic magnet wrapped around the main magnet, changing the polar pattern. like wires around a nail with a battery on it. No wonder you say.. try at your own risk.. Idiots! You are lucky you got it wrong or I would have sued you.. You can see I have customers pics with 5 mics on stage at once all are lighted and two of them are 87 beta's. Don't be fooled if you see that blog it will destroy your mic..